On Thursday, February 25, roughly 450 community members came together to take action at the fifth annual People’s State of the City. Speakers, organizers, and performances educating community members about the challenges and opportunities for change in the city, creative solutions, and how we can all get involved.
This year, the People’s State of the City called on community members to…
- Have courageous conversations. Share the information from this year’s People’s State of the City with your friends, neighbors, and family members. Find all the information, videos, data, and more below by clicking on “Share the PSOTC with your neighbors.”
- Join a campaign or organization. Click the following links to view a list of campaigns in English and Spanish.
- Get involved in local elections. There will be a local election in Long beach on April 12th for city council, school board, and community college board seats. This is an extremely important opportunity for our city and we can all play a role in it. Visit the Long Beach City Clerk’s website for more information.
You can get involved in the elections in a number of ways: conversations with your neighbors about the issues you care about, attend a candidate forum, volunteer with a campaign, canvass your neighborhoods, and, if you can, register to vote and then make sure to cast your vote.
Share the PSOTC with your neighbors
- “Our Moment” video (LINK)
- Text of the 2016 People’s State of the City (PDF)
- Data slides from the presentation (PDF)
- “Courage to Take Action” video (LINK)
- “Claudia’s Law” video (LINK)
- Full video of People’s State of the City Presentation (LINK)
Media Coverage of PSOTC 2016
- Long Beach Post: The 2016 People’s State of the City Looks to Build On Momentum in Long Beach
- Gazette: People’s State Of City Provides Forum For Challenges, Solutions
- VoiceWaves Long Beach: The State of the City Through Youthful Eyes
- Long Beach Post: Connectivity and Engagement Major Themes of 2016 People’s State of the City
- Daily 49er: Fifth annual People’s State of the City to attract hundreds
- Long Beach Daily News: Long Beach Residents call for courageous solutions at Fifth Annual People’s State of the City 2016
- Press-Telegram: Activists demand protections for Long Beach hotel workers
- Daily 49er: Long Beach People’s State of the City Address draws hundreds
Archive: People’s State of the City 2015